for cooking rice:
1.5 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
6 cups water
½ tsp salt
2-3 drops of oil
for making schezwan rice:
2 or 2.5 cups finally chopped vegetables ( i used 1 medium carrot, 8 french beans, ¼ cup finally chopped cabbage, 1 small capsicum/green bell pepper)
1 or 2 spring onions/scallions finely chopped, reserve the greens for garnishing
1 tsp finely chopped celery (optional), skip if you do not have.
2-3 garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp schezwan sauce or as required – click for the recipe of schezwan sauce
¼ tsp black pepper or as required
½ tsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil or any vegetable oil
salt as required
- rinse rice very well till the water runs clear of starch. soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
- drain and keep aside.
- in a pot, bring to a gentle boil 6 cups of water with salt and 2 to 3 drops of oil.
- add the soaked and drained rice to the hot water.
- on a low to medium flame cook the rice without the lid.
- when the rice becomes al dente or just cooked, remove the pot from fire and strain the rice.
- gently rinse the rice in water so that they stop cooking and don’t stick to each other.
- cover the rice and keep aside.
- finely chop all the vegetables. you can even shred the vegetables in a food processor.
- heat oil in a wok. add garlic and saute for a 15 to 20 seconds.
- add the onions, celery and all the vegetables.
- increase the flame and stir fry the vegetables on a high heat.
- more finely the vegetables are chopped, more faster they will cook.
- keep on stirring and tossing the vegetables on a high heat continuously. so that they are equally browned and cooked.
- when the edges of the veggies starts to become light brown, add schezwan sauce.
- stir and then add the drained rice in parts.
- mix and toss the rice with the veggies gently.
- season with salt, pepper and vinegar. stir and toss well so that the sauce coats all the rice grains evenly.
- garnish the schezwan fried rice with the spring onions greens.
- serve schezwan fried rice plain or with a side indo chinese dish like veg manchurian, mushroom manchurian or any dish of your choice.