A year after a Nepalese woman was kidnapped, gangraped, battered to death, and her body dumped on the Rohtak-Hisar national highway, the death penalty for all seven convicts provided only a semblance of closure to the victim’s brother.
The 22-year-old man, who moved to Rohtak from Vardia district in Nepal 10 months ago, is struggling to come to terms with the death of his sister.
“We read about such incidents in newspapers or watch them on television. Little did we know that we would be hit by such a calamity.
I was pursuing an undergraduate programme in Nepal when I came to know about it. On February 2, I left for Rohtak. For the whole year, we have been running from pillar to post for justice,” he said.
In a ground-floor flat here, the brother is joined by a police officer one of the two who have been deputed to provide security to the family. Referring to the December 16 gangrape in Delhi and the subsequent public outcry, especially regarding the juvenile involved in the case, the Rohtak victim’s brother welcomed the sessions court ruling. “The strong position the court has taken should serve as an example in such case.
I hope it sends a strong message to the entire country, where rape cases are frequent.” The Rohtak sessions court on Monday awarded death penalty to all seven men Rajesh, Sunil aka Seela, Sarvar aka Billu, Manbir, Sunil aka Madha, Pawan and Pramod aka Padam convicted for the February incident. However, at Gaddi Kheri village in Rohtak district, families of some of the convicts maintained that they had been framed.
The police investigation was biased, Pawan’s father Ranvir Singh said, “My son was the only earning member of the family. He has two children, one five years old and the other three. The DNA tests did not show a match. My son would never have committed such a crime.” A few blocks away, Sarvar’s mother Sarjo said she had no idea about the court decision.