Actor Sanjay Dutt, jailed in an arms case related to the 1993 Mumbai blasts, will be released on February 27.
The 56-year-old will be walking free from Yerwada jail in Pune a few days ahead of his official date of release. Sources say the reprieve has been granted on grounds of good behaviour.
Last year, a petition filed by former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju in 2013 seeking pardon for Sanjay Dutt was rejected.
Sources said that Governor Vidyasagar Rao rejected the petition on the recommendation of the Maharashtra home department, which said it would set a bad precedent as the actor’s conviction was confirmed by the Supreme Court.
The actor’s frequent breaks from jail have earlier been criticised as evidence of VIP treatment. Between May 2013 and 2014, Sanjay Dutt spent over 118 days out of jail.
In 2007, Sanjay Dutt was cleared of conspiracy charges in connection with the serial blasts in Mumbai that killed 257 people and injured hundreds.
But he was found guilty of illegal possession of an AK-56 rifle and a pistol and was sentenced to six years in jail. The actor served 18 months but then was out on bail, fighting the conviction until a court in March 2013 ordered him back to jail in Pune.
Sanjay Dutt had claimed that he required the weapons to protect himself and his family during the rioting that fulminate in the city after a series of bombs exploded at the city’s landmarks.