The Tata recently an update in June this year. The Indian manufacturer is now ready to launch a more powerful version of its popular SUV as there have been reports of test-mules bearing VariCOR 400 badging having already been spotted on Indian roads.
The new and more powerful variant will feature a 2.2-litre VariCOR 400 diesel engine mated to a new 6-speed manual gearbox.
This redeveloped engine has added 7bhp and 80Nm of torque to the Safari Storme’s existing performance figures and has resulted in a 15kg increase in weight. The updated power and torque figures stand at 154.8bhp and 400Nm respectively.
The added grunt and new gearbox should improve the Safari Storme’s highway and city ride dynamics. The Tata VariCOR 400 engine is also expected to find its way into the upcoming Hexa crossover. the VariCOR 400 badging on its sides, the new Safari Storme should visually stay unchanged. The VariCOR 400 engine option will only be available in the top-of-the-line VX trims of both the 4×2 and 4×4 versions. The new, more powerful Safari Storme is slated to be launched in December, 2015 although the exact date is as yet unconfirmed.
- Engine: 2.2-litre VariCOR 400 Engine
- Power: 154.8bhpTorque: 400Nm
- Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
- Chassis: Hydroformed
- Integrated Infotainment System by Harman
- Java Black interiors with Silver Accents
- Tata Signature Multi-Function Steering Wheel
- Ultrasonic reverse parking sensor with display
- New upper and lower front grill
- Optional 4X4 with ESOF (Electronic Shift on-Fly), with a ground clearance of 200 mm
- Dual air-conditioning, with built-in rear vents for all-round cooling
- Dual Airbags for driver and front passenger
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
- EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution)
- Projector head-lamps with Poly Ellipsoid System Rings