After Shootout Most Wanted Thug Back In Jail


The city’s most wanted criminal is back where he belongs. A police team caught him on Tuesday afternoon after a succinct shootout in a part of east Delhi bordering UP.

Released on bail in May this year after 6 years in jail, Satya Prakash or ‘Satte’ quickly proved that he didn’t have a mind to improvement. First, he robbed Rs 14 lakh by firing at a cashier outside a bank in Karol Bagh. Then he teamed up with another criminal, Khurvesh Pehelwan. In October, he shot dead an upstart gangster, Sonu Chikna, in east Delhi, before going on a robbing spree across the NCR.

As his own stash grew, a hassled police raised the reward on his head to Rs 1 lakh. The orders were to get him, dead or alive.

The special cell went after him with all the surveillance and information resources at its disposal. DCP special cell Sanjeev Yadav said they were assigned the case as Satte had become a threat to the capital’s law and order. Besides tracking his phone, police depended on their informants to catch him.

Satte changed his whereabouts frequently. On December 8, inspectors Manoj Dixit and Shiv Kumar received a tip-off about his presence in the Sahibabad area (UP) and laid a trap, Yadav said. In a re-run of his 2009 arrest, Satte refused to surrender and a shootout became essentialy in mid afternoon. Police got a tip-off that he was riding a TVS Apache motorcycle (DL-5S-AM-1886). Satte stopped near Garima Garden in Ghaziabad briefly but pushed off on noticing police presence. As he drove towards the Anand Vihar Ghazipur area, police teams blocked his path with their vehicles near Kondli Pulia in New Ashok Nagar.

“He was told to surrender but opened fire from a pistol. The police party fired in self-defence and overpowered him in a few minutes,” said Yadav, adding that a semi-automatic 9mm pistol and six live cartridges were found on Satte. An FIR was registered later.

Before his arrest in 2009, Satte was involved in 70 cases of dacoity, robbery, murder and extortion. Between 2005 and 2008, his gang targeted cash vans and banks in the NCR and Jaipur.

He was caught by the team of then special staff chief Rajender Singh after a fierce gunfight in Green Park. Singh was allegedly on Satte’s vendetta list this time. He had also threatened to kill other cops, including a head constable in northeast Delhi.