Wife dead on fire for not cooking mutton well


In Hyderabad A 40-year-old woman yesterday succumbed to burn here after she was set on fire by her alcoholic husband for not cooking mutton curry properly four days ago, police said.

Shanker Rao C, a labourer, allegedly poured out kerosene on his wife Sulochana who worked as a maid and set her ablaze at their house in Katedan area on the evening of December 20, Mailardevpally Police Station Inspector S Venkat Reddy said.

“Shanker had brought mutton and asked her to make curry. After eating it, he beat her up saying it wasn’t good enough and had a quarrel with her. Later, he poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze saying her living was useless because she didn’t know how to cook food,” the police officer said.

Shanker was stated drunk at the time. Sulochana’s mother and daughter, who were present, raised alarm after he set her on fire and the neighbours rushed and doused the flames, police said.

She was then taken to at a state-run Osmania General Hospital.

“The accused was arrested yesterday on the charge of attempt to murder and harssment. Today, she succumbed to burn injuries at the hospital,” the police officer said, adding a case of murder would be lodged against the husband.