The periods cramps by using a hot water bag on your lower abdomen and lower back, and by avoiding dairy products, meats and legumes as these can cause bloating and worsen the pain, says an expert.
Director Indira Ganeshan of capital-based Irene IVF Centre, has shared to amenities the pain:
- Hot water bag on your lower abdomen and lower back, and taking a hot shower offers instant pain relief.
- Drinking teas like ginger tea, jasmine tea and chamomile is not only anti-inflammatory, but also keeps you well hydrated to tackle the blood loss. Girls who have water retention can try dandelion tea.
- Take supplements like vitamin B, E, C and Folates, which help in relieving the menstrual pain.
- Consume a diet rich in fiber like fruits and green leafy vegetables which has high content of vitamins and anti-oxidants. An intake of Aloe Vera juice and papaya is very helpful for the cramps.
- Avoid dairy products, meats and legumes as these cause bloating and worsen the cramps.
- Avoid coffee, as caffeine increases gastritis and causes anxiety and may increase cramping as it constricts the blood vessels.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Light exercise and soft yogic posture and stretching will provide relief from body pain associated with cramps.
- Indulging in massages can be very relaxing and relieve cramps. Lavender oil application in lower abdomen is also very helpful.
- Acupressure is said to help girls tide over the rough time, and provide relief from cramps.
- Painkillers like Acetaminophen (paracetamol), Mefanemic acid can help the girls in relieving cramps and also decrease the amount of blood that is lost.
- Oral contraceptive pills: Girls who are resistant to home therapies and other alternate therapies can consult a gynaecologist for trial of oral contraceptives, which causes the cycle to become anovulatory and thus prevent the cramps.