A simple sponge cake can form the base for a variety of luscious desserts. Plain or fancy, a basic sponge cake can be employed to produce desserts for occasions ranging from a simple family meal to a show stealing birthday cake. Whatever the recipe, a basic sponge cake has to be moist, soft and tender. A dry, crumbly, flat cake will make the dessert very unappetizing.
1 1/4 cups plain flour (maida)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda bi-carb
3/4 cup condensed milk
4 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp melted butter for greasing
2 tbsp plain flour (maida) for dusting
- Sieve the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda bi-carb together and keep aside.
- Combine the condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the prepared sieved plain flour-cocoa mixture and 5 tbsp of water and mix gently with help of a spatula.
- The batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Grease the cake tin with butter on all the sides.
- Dust with plain flour and sift to ensure uniform distribution of the flour. Shake and tap the tin to remove the excess flour.
- Pour the prepared cake batter into a greased and dusted 175 mm. (7”) diameter tin and spread it evenly.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180oc (360of) for 25 to 30 minutes or till done.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- When ready, remove from the oven, invert the tin over a plate and tap sharply to unmould the sponge.
- Keep aside to cool and use as required.
Apple and Saffron Sauce
Fudge Sauce ( Eggless Desserts Recipe )
Strawberry Sauce ( Eggless Desserts Recipe)