Juvenile In Delhi Gang-Rape Case To Be ‘In Custody’ NGO

0
496
NEW DELHI, INDIA - DECEMBER 16: Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) activists take part in a candle march on the second anniversary of the fatal gang-rape at Jantar Mantar on December 16, 2014 in New Delhi, India. On December 16, 2012, a 23-year-old physiotherapy student was brutally gang raped and by six men, including a juvenile, in a moving bus. The incident unleashed a wave of public anger over levels of violence against women in the country. (Photo by Ajay Aggarwal/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

The youngest of the six men who gang-raped and tortured a student on a moving bus in Delhi in 2012, will walk out of a special home on December 22 but won’t be “freed”, say sources.

The convict, now 21, will be in the custody of an NGO for a year and take vocational training, the sources.

The parents of the 23-year-old woman, who came to be known as “Nirbhaya” or fearless, say this is far from justice. They have demanded that the “juvenile’s” face be shown as he is a threat to the society; he was the “most brutal” of all the rapists, they say.
“As far as we are considered, he is not in jail. Our daughter’s killer will not be in jail,” her mother told.

“The government has to think about our security and the security of the public,” she said.

Amid public outrage over the convict’s expected release after three-year Surcease, the Delhi Police had considered charges under the National Security Act to keep him in jail.

Union Woman and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi had said earlier this week that she had written to the home ministry demanding that sex offenders be tracked after release.

“You know the issue is not of that particular individual, the point is that I have written to the home ministry saying that there should a tweaking of the law in which every person accused of sexual abuse, who has served a time and has come out should have to report to the police station and he should be monitored,” said the minister.

To stop the convict’s release, Nirbhaya’s parents had petitioned the home ministry, courts and the National Human Rights Commission.

The convict, who was below 18 at the time of the horrific crime, was sentenced to three years in a reform home.
The punishment was seen by many as disproportionate to the Villainy of the crime and spurred demands for changes in the law so teenagers involved in serious crimes can be tried as adults. Four other convicts have been sentenced to death and a fifth was found dead in prison.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY